Congratulations to Bobby M and Heather R!
Learn more about our March Athletes of the Month below:
1. When did you start CrossFit and why did you decide to start?
I started in November of 2013. I am getting married in June and when we got our engagement photo’s back I was not happy with the way i looked. Crossfit was always something I was interested and this was the perfect reason to get started and get myself in shape with a workout that challenged me and kept me interested each and everyday.
2. How has CrossFit helped you outside of the box?
more self confidence, more energy and overall better state of mind.
3. Would you rather do Fran or Karen?
Karen, I need to improve on my pull ups so Fran doesn’t sound like much fun at this point.
4. What are you goals for 2014?
I just started the regular WOD’s after doing the Rivfit workouts for a few months, so I need to improve my technique on the lifts and work on increasing weight as well. I want to get to the point where I can compete in the throwdowns and be competitive.
5. What is your advice on finishing a tough mental WOD?
Break it up in to little pieces, if you are counting to some huge number its going to be brutal trying to get to whatever number it is. if you have to do a 100 reps break it down to 5 sets of 20. also try to not look at the clock since that seems to make everything move in slow motion as well
6. Would you recommend CrossFit to your family and friends?
Certainly…I have offered my friends to come down with me on a Saturday morning and see what its all about. Crossfit is one of those things where trying to explain it doesn’t do it justice. you need to experience it to fully appreciate it, especially that sense of accomplishment when you finish your WOD and what your were able to complete.
7. Favorite Workout
I don’t know… Barbara sticks out in my mind but that may be because of how hard it was.
8. Best CrossFit Memory
The first day I came to do a rivfit workout it was 5:15am on a Monday and in the warmup we were doing wall walks. by the 3rd one I could barely get my feet up the wall and my arms felt like jello, but I got through it, finished the WOD and was instantly hooked.
9. Biggest Accomplishment
finishing barbara in under 37:00 minutes, thats what I finally could realize the progress I was making and it only pushed me harder to keep improving.
10. How has your athletic career helped in CrossFit?
It gave me a strong foundation mentally for what we encounter. so many times you ask yourself what am i doing but it’s knowing how to push those thoughts aside and get the next rep to be one step closer to completing the WOD.
11. What physical and mental changed have you seen since starting CrossFit?
mentally I am stronger than ever and feel like I can get through just about anything. Physically, since I started in November I have dropped 40 pounds.
12. If you could take any piece of equipment home to workout with, which would you take?
it would be a coin flip between an ab-mat or a wall ball.
1. When did you start RivFit and why? September 2013. I finally had to admit that my at-home workouts on the elliptical while watching trash TV were not doing enough for me. Needed something much more challenging and higher intensity.
2. How has RivFit helped you outside of the box? I have a ton more physical and mental energy all day long.
3. Would you rather do burpees or wall balls? Wall balls. But burpees aren’t my least favorite – that would be push-ups, my Achilles heel, for sure!
4. What are you goals for 2014? 1. Stay one step ahead of my two-year old daughter, 2. Turn 40 feeling super fit with minimal muffin-top. J
5. What is your advice on finishing a tough mental WOD? Don’t think about the whole entire WOD – focus on the next rep. And breathe.
6. Would you recommend RivFit to your family and friends? Yes, definitely. Wish they would all come work out with me!
7. Favorite Workout Any WOD involving man-makers – they are SO HARD but what a great total-body workout.
8. Best RivFit Memory Our “skill” was 100 burpees for time. And THEN we did the WOD. Who does that for fun on a Friday night?!
9. Biggest Accomplishment Taking on Coach Mik’s Paleo Challenge. It’s been tough to bring everything together – 5 WODs a week AND clean eating/no drinking AND 8 hours of sleep a night. But I feel great I’m hoping I can stick with it for the long haul!
10. What do you rely on most to help you through RivFit? It’s a tie between our RivFitters and our amazing Coaches who put together the best programming and really want to see us to do well. They all rock.
11. What physical and mental changes have you seen since starting RivFit? Physically: tightening up and starting to see muscle definition. Mentally: pretty consistently surprising myself by doing more than I think I can.
12. If you could take any piece of equipment home to workout with, which would you take? Is this a trick question? I hate working out at home now – why would I do that when there’s RivFit?! A rower, I guess. For those damn snow days ;-)
Congratulations! Love, your Riverfront Family!